Can I Play Blu-ray and DVD Movies on PS4?

Physical PS4 games come on Blu-ray Disc, the best form of media capable of handling the large amounts of data that PS4 requires.

What are the benefits of PS4’s new Blu-ray Disc technology?

PS4’s Blu-ray Disc reader operates at a higher speed than the model featured in the PS3 system, and includes a range of Blu-ray Disc sizes.

When playing disc-based games on PS4, do I need to install data to the hard drive?

Yes, all PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience. However, certain titles may not require you to wait for the game data to be fully cached before starting gameplay. In order to start playing disc-based games, users will need to insert the game disc into PS4 just like on the PS3 system.


If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?

No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.

Will I be able to watch Blu-ray movies on PS4?

Yes, you will need to download and install PS4’s day-one system software update 1.50, and then activate your Blu-ray Disc video capability with a one-time activation through the internet in order to play Blu-ray Disc films and DVD video content.

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?

PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

Can I watch DVD movies using PS4?

Yes, PS4 supports DVD movie playback; you will need to download and install PS4’s day-one system software update 1.50, and then activate your Blu-ray Disc video capability with a one-time activation through the internet in order to play Blu-ray Disc films and DVD video content.

Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?

No, PS4 does not support audio CDs.

Comments