Statement of PSC Chairman Ramirez as Chef de Mission of Team Philippines for 30th Southeast Asian Games

OFFICIAL STATEMENT
29 MAY 2019

I always say there is no perfect organization. To one problem, there are different solutions presented by different people.

Imperfect as it is, there should always be a balance between mind and heart or chaos ensues.


Leaders are bound by duty to perform their tasks. We at the Philippine Sports Commission, being public workers, are bound by duty to deliver, the situation around us notwithstanding.

Yesterday, I declined the offer to be Chef de Mission of Team Philippines for the upcoming 30th Southeast Asian Games, which we host in 5 months. I declined for many reasons, two topmost of these are that I see no need to have a title to help the team, being already involved as the Chairman of the government’s sports agency and, delicadeza.

I am in constant communication with my superiors in Malacanang, continually monitoring and assessing the sports landscape of the country.

Last night, I was given firm instructions which I shall carry out, knowing beyond any doubt that national interest is primary concern of government, and should be of all.

I humbly accept the Chef de Mission post for Team Philippines' 2019 Southeast Asian Games participation.

I accept the challenges of the CDM position, aside from the instructions of my bosses, is to heed the call for help of the Philippine Olympic Committee. As the sports government arm, we show our readiness to step in, to help in the capacity being requested and if possible, mediate to make unity happen.




I do this for the interest of unity. Through this, I express my solid support to the Philippine Olympic Committee and the Philippine Southeast Asian Games Organizing Committee. We must stand as one.

I do this in the interest of protecting our national commitment. While we all have our own interests, we are duty-bound to prioritize national interest above all.

If by accepting, we can start considering peace as an option towards a successful hosting of the SEAG, then I accept.

I pray that all concerned consider a truce and aim to focus on this commitment which we MUST undertake as a united sporting community of a strong and focused Philippines.

Chairman William I. Ramirez
Philippine Sports Commission


Comments